Monday, October 13, 2014

Learning Pressure Canning

My oldest son Rock gave me a pressure canner he had. Now this thing was a monster in size and needed some tinder loving care.
                                                                            
  A good scrubbing and some replacement parts. But I knew if I bought one this size it would cost me $250 0r more- 21 1/2 quarts/ All American.
 The gauge was cracked so I ordered a new one $15.99 and it still had the flip-up steam release/ I opted for the weighted release and ordered the valve ( It had a weight)$7.99,  $32.00 & 3 days latter. I was cookin !!!!
 I have been trying every recipe I can get my hands on........I called the Company and ordered my parts . They told me my canner was over 40 years old ! And if it can hold a presser it's usable. And that most All American canners are past down from generation to generation " we just goin the opposite direction "
 Hey ! Don't laugh !    IT'S KINDA COOL.   I bought a BIG country ham and used it to can with.. HAM&BEANS , HAM&POTATOES, HAM & GREEN BEANS, GREENBEANS,TATORS & HAM. THESE ARE SOME GOOOOOOD BEANS- and it's easier than cooking a pot of beans AND you can have beans soup NOW! or anytime you want. The beans cook right in the jar ! I will be canning much more.........                                                                                 Thanks Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment