Monday, April 21, 2014

Starting seeds indoors.

This year with the rising cost of garden plants, I decided to start my seeds indoors. As posted in a previous post The seeds were ordered on line from SEEDS NOW. All Heirloom and organic so we don't have to keep buying seeds " HOPFULLY " So far I have planted 3 different kinds of tomatoes "I will list names with produce later" 3 different kinds of peppers, eggplant, and some cold crops. all are doing good except 1 type of tomato and eggplant. Here are some picks.
Just coming up.  I started them in a mix of top soil and aged horse manure , because that's what I had on hand. So I have to make sure they aren't left to dry out . The soil will get hard and the seedlings wont be able to get thru the soil. I keep them on a tray , so I can water them from the bottom every couple days .
 Here you can see they seem to be doing well. P.S. the funny looking thing is ginger.
 As you can see , some never have come up yet. Tomatoes and egg plants. I don't think they will !
 I use paper towels to sop up the extra water , so they don't get to wet. Just because its to heavy and messy to try to lift and pour off. We also hung a $12.00 shop light over them and a clip on light. we also have a small heater under the plants, under the table " my table is a glass table " and I keep the temp VERY LOW and I insulated the table with old bedding ,  to keep them warm for germination. This worded for me. You will need to figure out what works for you.
 Once they all have there true leaves " these are the 2nd set of leaves that each plant forms " They will be moved out side to a small green house, to get hardened off.
  do not leave it unattended ! THIS LIGHT  does not get hot/ hot, it is not for heat, it is for light . I will be planting more plants next week and these plants shown here, will be going out into the small green house. Happy gardening ! T

No comments:

Post a Comment